Joomla is an award-winning content management system (CMS), which enables you to build Web sites and powerful online applications. Many aspects, including its ease-of-use and extensibility, have made Joomla the most popular Web site software available. Best of all, Joomla is an open source solution that is freely available to everyone.
What is a content management system (CMS)?
A content management system is software that keeps track of every piece of content on your Web site, much like your local public library keeps track of books and stores them. Content can be simple text, photos, music, video, documents, or just about anything you can think of. A major advantage of using a CMS is that it requires almost no technical skill or knowledge to manage. Since the CMS manages all your content, you don’t have to.
Joomla is suitable for power Web sites of all shapes and sizes.
- Corporate Web sites or portals
- Corporate intranets and extranets
- Online magazines, newspapers, and publications
- E-commerce and online reservations
- Government applications
- Small business Web sites
- Non-profit and organizational Web sites
- Community-based portals
- School and church Web sites
- Personal or family homepages
- No specialized programming language needed to build or customize templates.
- Flexible Templating allows for creation of variety of looks — no “cookie cutter” websites.
- Can build Valid XHTML and Section 508 Accessible websites.
- Edit CSS and templates from within admin system.
- Large number of free or low cost templates available through the community.
User Management Feature
- Supports Membership option for websites.
- Supports classes of users.
- Enables easy creation of extranets
- Block problem users.
- Mass mail users.
Workflow Management Features
- Classes of users for content creation, editing, scheduling and publishing.
- Schedule automatic Start/Stop dates for publishing.
- Supports multiple administrators with variety of tools.
CMS Extensibility Features
- Bundled with much common functionality.
- Large selection of add-ons to extend functionality.
- Bridges to many 3rd Party systems.